Meet Dr. Mentz@headingTag>
Dr. Henry Mentz is an internationally-respected plastic surgeon who holds the distinctive honor of being the nation’s first triple board-certified plastic surgeon. He obtained triple board certification in Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, and Head and Neck Surgery (Otolaryngology). Because of this, he is among the most well-trained and sought after plastic surgeons for facial rejuvenation. He blends the specific techniques and skills of his respective board certifications to achieve remarkable, natural-looking results. Moreover, Dr. Mentz has received continuous, global recognition and numerous awards for his surgical expertise and innovative contributions to the field of aesthetic plastic surgery.
Specialties and Skills@headingTag>
Dr. Mentz uses a detailed and comprehensive approach to restore a youthful, fresh appearance to the face. His specialized method combines advanced lifting and tightening techniques with volume restoration to rebuild the youthful contours of the face through the use of stem-cell enriched grafts. Furthermore, Dr. Mentz has made many contributions to the field of aesthetic plastic surgery. He invented the specialized liposuction techniques of abdominal etching and pectoral etching to give the abdominal and pectoral muscles a more defined, muscular appearance.
To advance facial rejuvenation results through stem-cell enriched fat grafting, Dr. Mentz worked with one of the nation’s leading stem cell researchers to further the innovative uses of stem cells. Stem-cell enriched fat grafting is a volume replacement technique which may improve the skin’s tone and texture. His additional contributions include the development of a combined breast augmentation and breast lift procedure, the use of fat grafts to reduce the shoulder grooves created by bra straps, and the application of protocols to improve safety in the clinic and operating room.
Education and Training@headingTag>
Dr. Mentz received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Louisiana State University Medical School. After completing the General Surgery program at the Ochsner Foundation of New Orleans, he went on to complete the Otolaryngology program at Tulane University School of Medicine. During his residency training at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, he trained under two of the best plastic surgeons in the field of Facial Plastic Surgery. This exposed Dr. Mentz to the areas of facial rejuvenation surgery and open structure rhinoplasty. He followed this with specialized training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at St. Joseph in Houston. During his fellowship in Houston, he gained additional depth in facial reconstruction with prominent plastic surgeons known for their innovation and supreme expertise in facial surgery.
- Mortar Board Honor Society, LSU, 1980
- President, Senior Medical School Class, LSU, 1984
- Chief Resident, Tulane, Head and Neck Surgery, 1989
- Chief Resident, St. Joseph Plastic Surgery, 1991
- Officer, Ochsner Resident Program
- Aesculapian Honor Board, LSU Medical Board
Awards and Honors@headingTag>
In a 2009 Goldline Research study which was featured in Forbes magazine, Dr. Mentz was listed as a leading plastic surgeon in the United States. His physician peers have continually nominated him as a “Top Doctor” in notable magazines such as H-Texas, Texas Monthly, and Health & Fitness. Dr. Mentz’s surgical expertise has garnered international attention and shared through his 150 plus contributions in presentations, books, and chapters.
- Authored a chapter in a book that features the leading facial plastic surgeons in the world, Dissecting the Facelift, 2016.
- Recognized by Best Doctors as one of the most respected doctors in his field, 2008-2012.
- Listed as a Top Doctor by H-Texas magazine, 2003-present. Nomination based on physician voting.
- Selected as a Top Doctor in Plastic Surgery by Houstonian magazine, 2013-present. Nomination based on physician voting.
- Continuously recognized as a “Super Doctor” by Texas Monthly magazine.
- Listed in Forbes magazine, Dec. 2009 issue, as a leading plastic surgeon of the United States (Goldline Research study).
- Recognized as one of “America’s Top Plastic Surgeons” by Consumers’ Research Council of America.
- Recipient of the Doctors’ Choice award from Health & Fitness Magazine.
- Internationally recognized as a top plastic surgeon in Beyond Black, an international luxury publisher.
- Awarded Best Journal Article from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Surgery Education and Research Foundation for research on improving safety in high-risk aesthetic surgery.
- Top Viewed Author award – The ACPS Research website (Knol) is a Google-award winning site with more than 100,000 website visitors.
- Chosen as a “Top Doctor” for facelifts by RealSelf, 2014 – Present. RealSelf Top Doctor status is awarded to a select group of doctors who have demonstrated an ongoing commitment to answering consumer questions and encouraging their patients to post unbiased reviews and ratings.
- HealthTap, an Interactive Health company, bestowed the honor of Top Cosmetic Surgeon in the Nation to Dr. Mentz for his level of commitment to the profession and compassion to help so many with his expertise, 2014.
- Houston Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Henry Mentz is honored for his service as faculty member at ASAPS Aesthetic Meeting 2012
- Dr. Mentz was invited to attend the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) Aesthetic Meeting 2012 in Vancouver, British Columbia. He served as a faculty member, presenting on the topic of fat grafting using regenerative cells removed through liposuction. He has been invited to many prestigious seminars and meetings as a guest speaker to share new developments in the field of medicine.
- The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
- The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- The American Board of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
- American Board of Medical Specialties
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons (FICS)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ISAPS)
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association
- Harris County Medical Society
- Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The American Medical Association
- American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF)
- Houston Society of Plastic Surgery
Teaching and Training@headingTag>
- ASAPS Certification for Advanced Education in Cosmetic Surgery
- ASAPS-certified for Face and Body Aesthetic Surgery
- Certified for Microsurgical, Laser, Ultrasonic, and Endoscopic Surgery
- Specialized Training for BOTOX Cosmetic, Restylane, Juvéderm, Radiesse, and Isolagen injectables
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Joseph Hospital
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery Baylor College of Medicine
- Teaching staff, Operation San Jose. Cleft lip mission for underprivileged children with facial deformities
- ACPS Research Department with Plastic Surgeon Amado Ruiz-Razura, M.D.
- Contributor of more than 150 papers, presentations, and chapters for plastic surgery in the last 20 years
- Manages and funds the Mentz Foundation for medical and education missions
- Teaching a course on Three – Dimensional Body Contouring at the Annual ASAPS Meeting, 2009 – Present
Dr. Mentz has contributed to more than 150 articles, chapters, and presentations at national and international plastic surgery meetings for plastic surgeons in the past 20 years. Highlights include:
- Maximizing Facelift Results. Dr. Mentz created this specialized technique to lift the midface soft tissues, the jowls, and cheek fat, and to restore a more youthful contour to the cheek and jawline. He has taught at national and international meetings on brow lifts, face and neck lifts. Dr. Mentz has presented in various locations such as Houston, Austin, Mexico City, Cancun, Monterrey, Colombia, and Vancouver and published in 2004. He authored a chapter on facelifts in the textbook, Operative Plastic Surgery, in 2001.
- Liquid Facelifts. Injectables including BOTOX®, Restylane®, Juvéderm®, Radiesse®, fat and topical creams can be combined to create a rejuvenated look. This technique was presented in Dallas, Puerto Vallarta, Saudi Arabia, India, Guatemala, Bangkok, Vera Cruz, Seville, and Chile.
- Fat Grafts and Stem Cells. Dr. Mentz has assisted or developed groundbreaking procedures using fat grafts and stem cells, an exciting new area of plastic surgery that contains much potential. These include fibroblast injections for wrinkle reduction, fat grafts to increase roundness and fullness in the buttocks, fat grafting to erase bra strap shoulder grooves, fat and stem cell grafting to make improvements in the skin of scleroderma patients, and using fat grafts to renew the face. He has presented his research nationwide in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Philadelphia, and internationally in Mazatlán, Guatemala, Buenos Aires, Lima, Valencia, Shanghai, Bangkok, and Saudi Arabia. There were related publications in 2004, 2006, and 2007.
- Abdominal Etching. In 1993, Dr. Mentz created this innovative procedure which uses liposuction to sculpt an athletic six-pack appearance in the abdominal area. This has been presented in Houston, New York City, San Diego, New Orleans, Guatemala, Grand Cayman, Paris, Seville, Rio de Janeiro, Lima, Puerto Vallarta, and Saudi Arabia. Published in 1993.
- Male Body Contouring. Dr. Mentz continues his ongoing research on refining male body contouring procedures through new liposculpting techniques. He has presented in Houston, Philadelphia, Honolulu, Vera Cruz, and Valencia. Article was published in 2006, and the chapter was published in 2007. Dr. Mentz invented the Pectoral Etching technique to define male pectoral muscles through the use of liposculpture. Presentations were conducted in San Antonio, Guadalajara, Buenos Aires, and Mazatlán. Published in 2007.
- Smallest Scar Gynecomastia Removal. A procedure developed for men to remove enlarged breasts. Presented in Houston, Mexico City, Mazatlán, Buenos Aires, Colombia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, and China. The chapter was published in 2007.
- New Liposuction Techniques. Through the development of new techniques and his ongoing research, Dr. Mentz continues to advance liposuction technology. His work has been presented in Houston, Boston, Orlando, Cancun, Buenos Aires, Paris, Vienna, Sevilla, Saudi Arabia, and India.
- Reduced Pain and Recovery for Tummy Tucks. Dr. Mentz was the first surgeon to publish research on a method to reduce pain during recovery after the tummy tuck procedure. The solution was the use of a local anesthetic device. His research was presented in Vienna, Chicago, Saudi Arabia, Vera Cruz, New Orleans, India, Guadalajara, Guatemala, Philadelphia, Austin, Houston, Colombia, and Canada. Published in 2004.
- Safety in Aesthetic Surgery. Dr. Mentz and his colleagues at ACPS place importance on patient safety through the application of standards that increase safety in the operating room and recovery. Being an active member on several Houston inspection teams, Dr. Mentz has developed safety strategies, provided oversight at the ACPS SurgiCentre and other facilities.
- Breast Implants. Dr. Mentz closely worked with the inventors of the breast implants. He gained invaluable insights and knowledge through training with them. Studies presented in Mexico City and Buenos Aires.
- Leading the Country. The Aesthetic Center for Plastic Surgery (ACPS) has dedicated its focus on researching and applying methods to improve plastic surgery and ensuring safety and comfort for all patients. Its innovative research, methods, and expertise have garnered international attention from the medical professionals.
Through the Mentz Foundation, Dr. Mentz and his team seek out and provide services to the needy and disadvantaged. A portion of the profit goes to aid children locally, nationally, and internationally. One partner of the Mentz Foundation is Clinica Esperanza, a medical and dental clinic in Roatán, Honduras. Dr. Mentz and many members of ACPS travel to the Bay Islands of Honduras to provide medical and humanitarian support to the clinic, schools, and local communities.