Chemical peels brighten and smooth the skin’s appearance by gently resurfacing it through the removal of its damaged outer layers. They are an effective non-surgical cosmetic facelift treatment for those who desire to treat mild to more severe skin conditions including sun-damaged skin, fine lines and wrinkles, skin pigment abnormalities, acne, and acne scarring.
Triple board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Henry Mentz’s skin care specialists offer comprehensive chemical peel systems from SkinMedica, a leading developer of technologically advanced skin care products. Dr. Mentz offers three levels of peels at his Houston office, which can be customized to your needs based upon the level of treatment and exfoliation you desire.
"Dr. Mentz is nothing short of a magician. I went to him for an abdominoplasty in November of 2015 and his work has been life changing. His "bedside manner" is equal to his skill. I did not, for one moment, feel spoken down to or intimidated by his brilliance. He was kind, professional and has a great sense of humor. This man is an artist."- J.R. / Facebook / Aug 16, 2017
"I had my face lift almost 5 years ago and I'm still so happy with the results.Dr.Mentz and his staff are the best. ."- P.L. / Facebook / Nov 03, 2017
"54 Year Lady - Renee"- M. / RealSelf / Sep 03, 2017
"Renee"- M. / RealSelf / Sep 03, 2017
"Dr. Mentz is nothing short of a magician. I went to him for an abdominoplasty in November of 2015 and his work has been life changing."- J.R. / Facebook / Aug 16, 2017
Types of Peels
- Illuminize Peel: As SkinMedica’s lightest peel, the Illuminize Peel works gently to increase the skin’s glow and radiance. It produces little to no peeling, making it the perfect choice for those who want a quick way to improve the look of their skin before an upcoming event.
- Vitalize Peel: The Vitalize Peel, SkinMedica’s most popular peel is clinically proven to build collagen—a key component which helps the skin to look supple and smooth. After light peeling for 3-5 days, skin will appear noticeably brighter and smoother. This peel is appropriate for all skin types and is indicated for patients who have mild to moderate skin conditions including sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, acne, acne scarring and melasma.
- Rejuvenize Peel: The strongest of SkinMedica’s peels, the Rejuvenize Peel penetrates more deeply into the skin to significantly improve moderate to severe skin conditions including fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage, melasma, acne, and acne scarring. The Rejuvenize Peel produces light peeling for 5-7 days.
- Obagi Blue Peel® Radiance™: Your skin will look radiant and smooth after just one treatment of the Obagi Blue Peel® Radiance™ chemical peel. This salicylic acid-based peel is specially formulated to gently, yet effectively, leave your skin looking brighter, smoother, and tighter. The Obagi Blue Peel Radiance is appropriate for most skin types, and it is especially helpful to improve acne. Peeling varies between individuals, ranging from no peeling to light peeling up to a week. To see the most significant improvement to the skin, we recommend a series of three to six peels.
- TCA Peel: The TCA peel works aggressively to reduce the appearance of discoloration and fine lines. The agent trichloroacetic acid induces peeling of the damaged dermal layers to reveal a fresher, more youthful layer of skin. Because of its concentrated strength, The TCA peel is performed by Dr. Mentz or his family nurse practitioner, Renee Arriaga. Peeling typically takes place for 1-2 weeks.
- TCA Peel
$700 (with Dr. Mentz)
$500 (with Renee Arriaga, RN, MSN, FNP-BC)
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- Up to $700
- Recovery Time
- 1-2 Weeks
- Average Procedure Time
- 30 Minutes - 1 Hour
- Procedure Recovery Location
The benefits of chemical peels include:
- softening of fine lines and acne scars
- fading darkened patches, like freckles and melasma
- purifying the pores
Peels Vs. Microdermabrasion
Chemical peels restore a fresher and radiant look to the face by gently sloughing off the damaged outer layers of the skin’s surface. Microdermabrasion achieves this through the mechanical action of massaging crystals, while chemical peels utilize the peeling action of alphahydroxy acids (AHAs) such as glycolic, fruit, and lactic acids.
Depending on the level of peel you receive, you may have redness, peeling, skin crusting, and stinging for a few days for a light chemical peel or up to 2 weeks for a deep chemical peel. You should use strong sun protection and avoid sun exposure as much as possible for several months to minimize risks like hyperpigmentation and redness.