Chemical peels brighten and smooth the skin’s appearance by gently resurfacing it through the removal of its damaged outer layers. They are an effective non-surgical cosmetic facelift treatment for those who desire to treat mild to more severe skin conditions including sun-damaged skin, fine lines and wrinkles, skin pigment abnormalities, acne, and acne scarring.
Triple board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Henry Mentz’s skin care specialists offer comprehensive chemical peel systems from SkinMedica, a leading developer of technologically advanced skin care products. Dr. Mentz offers three levels of peels at his Houston office, which can be customized to your needs based upon the level of treatment and exfoliation you desire.
"Dr. Mentz is nothing short of a magician. I went to him for an abdominoplasty in November of 2015 and his work has been life changing. His "bedside manner" is equal to his skill. I did not, for one moment, feel spoken down to or intimidated by his brilliance. He was kind, professional and has a great sense of humor. This man is an artist."- J.R. / Facebook / Aug 16, 2017
"Dr Mentz is an incredibly talented and gracious doctor! With Wonderful bedside manner! He was able to work magic with a rhinoplasty revision from the previous botched nose job I had received from a doctor before him. My nose looks better than it ever has!! He also did a breast augmentation. Upsizing my 10 yr old implants from saline to silicone and a larger implant. And I finally have the breasts I always wanted!! And a testament to his generosity and commitment to perfection, originally I had a smaller implant chosen and after the original surgery was not happy with the size after all. Dr Mentz was kind enough to allow me to go back under the knife only a couple of days after the initial surgery and obtain the larger implants I desired...FREE OF CHARGE!! Only charging me for the price of the implants. His compassion and understanding made me feel like he really cares and his commitment to perfection rivals my own I am about to have a Brazilian butt lift done with him in a month or two and I am so excited!! Because I know what a talented doctor he is!! I would not entrust my body or face to another doctor EVER AGAIN! If your looking for your "happily ever after", look no further! Thank you again Dr Mentz!! For making me feel (and look) whole again!!"- C.B. / Yelp / Oct 03, 2019
"I absolutely love Dr. Mentz. He did my septum many years ago and the bone in my nose fractured like an egg. It was extremely thin. This has happened only once before in his career. He reconstructed my nose and it came out wonderfully. I also had a breast reduction. I balanced it to my body type, and ten years later I still have a good shape. I absolutely trust his aesthetics. He has a wonderful eye, and desire to do beautiful work on every patient. My experiences with him have always been exceptional, and I have extreme confidence in his work. His education speaks volumes about his knowledge."- Anonymous / RateMDs / Feb 25, 2019
"I had a wonderful experience today undergoing my #rhinoplasty and #septoplasty I had the best and most caring doctor along with the help of his wonderful team! I cannot thank Dr. Mentz enough for all he did. I will be forever grateful!"- A.C. / Yelp / Aug 04, 2020
"He is Excellent & professional surgeon."- S.H. / Healthgrades / May 03, 2020
Types of Peels
- Illuminize Peel: As SkinMedica’s lightest peel, the Illuminize Peel works gently to increase the skin’s glow and radiance. It produces little to no peeling, making it the perfect choice for those who want a quick way to improve the look of their skin before an upcoming event.
- Vitalize Peel: The Vitalize Peel, SkinMedica’s most popular peel is clinically proven to build collagen—a key component which helps the skin to look supple and smooth. After light peeling for 3-5 days, skin will appear noticeably brighter and smoother. This peel is appropriate for all skin types and is indicated for patients who have mild to moderate skin conditions including sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, acne, acne scarring and melasma.
- Rejuvenize Peel: The strongest of SkinMedica’s peels, the Rejuvenize Peel penetrates more deeply into the skin to significantly improve moderate to severe skin conditions including fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage, melasma, acne, and acne scarring. The Rejuvenize Peel produces light peeling for 5-7 days.
- Obagi Blue Peel® Radiance™: Your skin will look radiant and smooth after just one treatment of the Obagi Blue Peel® Radiance™ chemical peel. This salicylic acid-based peel is specially formulated to gently, yet effectively, leave your skin looking brighter, smoother, and tighter. The Obagi Blue Peel Radiance is appropriate for most skin types, and it is especially helpful to improve acne. Peeling varies between individuals, ranging from no peeling to light peeling up to a week. To see the most significant improvement to the skin, we recommend a series of three to six peels.
- TCA Peel: The TCA peel works aggressively to reduce the appearance of discoloration and fine lines. The agent trichloroacetic acid induces peeling of the damaged dermal layers to reveal a fresher, more youthful layer of skin. Because of its concentrated strength, The TCA peel is performed by Dr. Mentz or his family nurse practitioner, Renee Arriaga. Peeling typically takes place for 1-2 weeks.
- TCA Peel
$700 (with Dr. Mentz)
$500 (with Renee Arriaga, RN, MSN, FNP-BC)
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- Up to $700
- Recovery Time
- 1-2 Weeks
- Average Procedure Time
- 30 Minutes - 1 Hour
- Procedure Recovery Location
The benefits of chemical peels include:
- softening of fine lines and acne scars
- fading darkened patches, like freckles and melasma
- purifying the pores
Peels Vs. Microdermabrasion
Chemical peels restore a fresher and radiant look to the face by gently sloughing off the damaged outer layers of the skin’s surface. Microdermabrasion achieves this through the mechanical action of massaging crystals, while chemical peels utilize the peeling action of alphahydroxy acids (AHAs) such as glycolic, fruit, and lactic acids.
Depending on the level of peel you receive, you may have redness, peeling, skin crusting, and stinging for a few days for a light chemical peel or up to 2 weeks for a deep chemical peel. You should use strong sun protection and avoid sun exposure as much as possible for several months to minimize risks like hyperpigmentation and redness.